Sunday, August 4, 2013

B4 Books Chosen

B4 Books Chosen.

Section 1:

Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert

-I chose this book because it seemed like a very basic starting point for children's literature. It combines simple pictures of familiar items with their names and has a very clear purpose.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle

-This book teaches colors and animal names while using simple repetition and rhyming to hold attention. It seemed like a good early reader's educational book.

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

-One of the favorite books of a child i know. I thought i would look into it to see if it was educationally beneficial to him as well as entertaining.

Section 2:

Keeper of Soles by Teresa Bateman

-I chose this book simply because it touched on dealing with death. This is something that very few childrens writers will go near and i wanted to see how this author would approach it.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

-I remember this book from my childhood and i personally think its a moving book for any age reader. I want to revisit it and see if its still as emotionally packed a book as i recall.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barret

- I have always loved this book and recently went to see the the film adaptation which i thought was a remarkable success. I remember this book being extremely busy, however and i want to look at it from this perspective to see if it is actually appropriate for preschoolers.

Section 3:

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

-This book is a masterpiece of sequential art story telling. It holds meaning and lessons for anyone that could possibly read this book. I had never thought of it as a children's book, however, and i want to look at it in this light.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll

-I chose this because, really, you cant investigate children's literature without hearing the name Caroll over and over again. I want to assess how this book has held up over the decades and compare it to modern stories.

Section 4:

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

- Another classic that is synonymous with the phrase: children's story. I realized that i never read this the entire way through and I feel that i owe it to myself to re-read it from an adult perspective and find any of the references i may have missed as a child. What an adult and a child might get from this book could, potentially, be extremely different

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charlie,

    Looks like we chose a couple of the same books (Eating the Alphabet, Brown Bear, The Giving Tree, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland). I think we chose those books for similar reasons too! I was really tempted to select Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs too because I loved the movie! But I definitely agree with you that it's a pretty crazy story, so I wonder how children feel about it. I am surprised you chose The Arrival for section 3. I have not read it, but I read about it when selecting my books, and it didn't strike me as a children's book either! If you have a chance, I'd love to read a blog post about your thoughts on reading it as a children's book.

    -Emma Murugaverl

    ReplyDelete